Saturday, December 24, 2011

Does the M109R compare with all Harleys that arent touring bikes?

I am buying another motorcycle and comparing the M109r to everything in its class (sport cruiser) that Harley makes. I have also compared it to Victory, Ducati and Big Dog. I simply cant find anything that compares to the price, power and performance of the M109r. It pretty much smokes just about everything out there in the "cruising" class.





Is there anything else to compare it to before I pull the trigger?|||I have ridden most popular brands of motorcycles. It's hard to beat a Suzuki. Honda is very good motorcycle and re sale is great, but a Suzuki is more refined. Harley has the Harley image. If you are looking for performance and refinement, don't even think about a Harley. You are not comparing apples to apples.|||Damn, I was already to blast you a big one until I read 'cruising'.

Next time. ;D

ADDED- The Triumph Rocket is the largest production bike ever made. Rides pretty nice for what it is (think John Deere on two wheels, stump-pulling power with an easy glide).|||I'm a big fan of the Suzuki, so go get it. If you still want other options, check out the Triumph Rocket 3.|||People who buy Harleys don't buy them for the performance, or they would just ride crotch rockets.|||C'mon ninebad......|||You know, when I read the descriptions of some of these huge cruisers, I wonder what people plan to use them for. It's like a sportbike that has 180 hp and tops out at 180 mph. Why would you want something like that except for bragging rights?





The only reason I can think of for a bike to be this big is stability and smoothness on a long freeway ride. It's going to be a major PITA around town or on a twisty mountain road. What is the appeal? Is it just 'my bikes bigger than yours'?





I'm not really a cruiser person myself, so don't take me too seriously. A good friend of mine, a woman, bought a Harley Heritage Softail a couple of weeks ago. It was 50 miles from her home so she asked me if I'd ride it home for her, and of course I was more than happy to. This is a 96cid bike, not as big as the 109 but nearly (a bigger engine than my first two or three cars!) I thoroughly enjoyed it (except for the seating position with legs out front. Some people love it but I can't get used to it). It made a wonderful freeway-cruiser. In fact ten minutes on this bike would teach you all you need to know about cruisers, that they support a relaxed, laid-back style of riding, very stable, very good 'road manners'.





It's a beautiful bike and I'm sure you'll be very happy with it. But I'm sure there are times when you ask yourself 'Why did I need such a big, heavy bike?'

No comments:

Post a Comment