Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Most comfortable cruser/touring motorcycle? Need your help.?

i'm tall with long legs, so a long bike so my legs not under me, the honda gold wing, does not work, my legs are uncomfortable





that leaves the Yamaha Venture, which has 4 carborators...don't want that





the victory vision...which is brand new????





the harley electra glyde, ultra classic...which is just too expensive for what you get





the other problem i never can ride one of the yamaha, sizuki, kawasaki they never have demo bikes. so how to tell if you like the ride.





the goal; comfort for legs and back, don't really need the ferrings, consule, radio, walkie talkie etc. More a comfortable touring bike for me and the wife, so when i take a ride i don't feel all cramped up.|||I'm quite tall myself at 6'5" with a 34" inseam. I ride a '05 GL1800A (Goldwing) and have modified it to make it very comfortable for me. Perhaps you can apply similar changes to the bike you decide to meet your comfort needs.





The number one path to comfort is to have a custom seat built to your physical needs. I went with Russells' Day-long saddle, http://www.day-long.com . Each seat is built to your physical dimensions and weight. My seat moved me back 2" and up 1" from the stock seat. This change on the Goldwing still left plenty of room for my wife on her "Queen" seat as she is rather small at 5' nothing...





Russell also installed a very supportive backrest for me that is great on those 900+ mile days!





http://farm1.static.flickr.com/24/425315鈥?/a>





I also installed a set of Peg relocators that moved my footpegs forward 1" and replaced the OEM pegs with a set of Kuryakyn Mini-Wing ISO pegs, I didn't want full floorboards, these give me a little room to move feet around on.





In the handlebar area I installed a set of MBL handlebar risers that move the handlebars up and back and gives me some flexibility in adjusting these dimensions.





The finally upgrade which is more Goldwing specific, was a set of Mick-O-Peg highway bars that give me a forward place to move my feet to in a comfortable position with my long legs.





These highway bars are different from most as they swing up out of the way automatically when they are not in use, thereby not causing any interference while riding aggressively in the twisties.





Most of these changes can be applied to any bike you buy, with the custom seat being the best improvement I made to my bike.





I did rent a Harley Fat Boy a couple of years ago for a 4-day weekend and found the bike to be pretty comfortable with very little change for me, just an adjustment to the handlebar position.





It had a handlebar mounted windshield and a set of semi-rigid saddlebags. Not a bad weekend warrior, just wasn't the bike I was looking for in Long Distance touring. The real lack of power was a big negative for me, that and the wife did not like the rear seat at all.





Good Luck on finding your "Dream Bike" it is out there somewhere, just might take a little tinkering on your part!|||Check out the Harley Road Glide. They are less expensive than the Ultras. The frame mounted fairing handles really well. I've had one for 5 years and I love it.|||Victory has done their homework and will let you test drive them. i did and was wowwed.|||My husband is pretty tall and has long legs. We needed a new touring bike and wanted one that was a cruiser. We ended up buying a Yamaha V-Star 1100 Silverado. This bike runs very smooth, has a great sound, and is a good price. I have both ridden as a passenger and have driven the bike. It is really nice and doesn;t have all the fairings and radio and stuff. The Silverado has a windshield and saddlebags stock. We have ridden the bike from Michigan to Tennessee and from Mid-Michigan to the Upper Peninsula. The passenger seat is a little uncomfortable but all new passenger seats are, I just shift how I'm sitting or sit on something soft until we get a gel seat for the it.





Overall, nice bike, good gas mileage, low maintenance, good price, and a great ride.





(We couldn't test ride either, we read reviews online and my husband liked the way it looked so he bought it and couldn't be happier.)





They make these in 1300 CC now...





www.yamaha-motor.com|||There may be a place in your town that rents bikes.


This is a way to try them out before you buy.


Visit Eaglerider.com|||As a rider myself, I have tried the Gold Wing and also find it very uncomfortable. For comfort, I really the Harley Road King. The low center of gravity allows me to get my feet on the ground quick when needed, and my knees aren't in my gut when riding! It's not cheap but a better deal than the Electra Glides in terms of what you get for the money. I've seen the Victory bikes and they are sharp, and have heard they are excellent in quality; but haven't rode one yet.|||Check out the triumph rocket 3.|||my first thought was the honda cbr 1000, as they go on forever and never break but if your a tall chap perhaps a visit to the BMW dealership would be a prudent move, book a test ride of th new GS1000 rekon that should tick all the boxes

No comments:

Post a Comment