Tuesday, December 20, 2011

I won an 'enter to win' contest? Or is it a scam?

So, a few weeks ago I went to a large mall cinema to see a movie, and in the lobby they had this sweet 4-wheeler, I think a new z400, on display, and beside it a kiosk with forms to fill out to win a prize, I assumed the z400. I tought, what the hell, maybe I'll win, so I filled out a form. So today I got a call from this lady about the same contest, asking to confirm my address and contact/personal info, and that I'd been selected for the finalist drawing for a grand-prize. Later a different lady called to say I'd won a grand-prize, out of a list of things like a new '08 mustang GT, a victory motorcycle, $50k, and some other stuff.


My first reaction was excitement. They said I need to be 25 to claim the prize (?), but that my parents could claim it. So, I called my Mom and she talked to them, and I guess they still need to draw for what prize I'll get.


Upon reflection, however, I'm seriously doubting this is legit. But would a large movie theater at a mall allow some scam contest?|||Those contests where you fill in the little cards are basically a way for marketers to get your information. One of two things are going to happen here. Either they will tell you that you won a prize but you need to pay a redemption fee to ge the item, in which case the redemption fee will be worth more than the prize. Or your mom will be required to attend a timeshare seminar.


Most of those contests are run by telemarketers to get your information. You should be very careful when filling out these cards though. I have seen a couple that have small print stating "by filling out this card, you are authorizing us to switch your long distance carrier to Allied Texas Telephone." Most people wouldn't notice the switch on their phone service, however, because the initials for Allied Texas Telephone conveniently happens to be ATT.|||Probably not a scam if a Big name theater is having the contest, but you do know that you`ll have to pay taxes on whatever prize you win, don`t you?





If they tell you - you have to pay some amount of money to find out what prize you won.


That would be a scam tactic.|||You could check with your state's attorney general's office. If the contest is legit, they should have record of it.|||Maybe its legit, maybe not. My personal experience with those" fill out the card, maybe you'll win" things is that the real agenda is to get you to BUY something, like a timeshare or gym membership. In those, your PRIZE is a tour, or free week, etc. If I were you, just do not give out any PERSONAL info like ssn, bank accounts, birth dates, etc, and wait and see what happens. Hey- I hope its really a sweet 4-wheeler. Just don't let yourself be surprised if its not.

No comments:

Post a Comment