Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Who makes quiet exhaust systems for motorcycles?

I am buying a 2010 victory vision and after 15 months of going back and forth in this decision with my wife, we have discovered the only thing that made us doubt the decision between a gold wing and a vision was the exhaust noise. My wife and I have been riding for a long time and have been gradually getting quieter bikes as the years go by. I guess age catches up with everyone! LOL Anyhow I understand that the vision is a v-twin and the goldwing engine will always be quieter due to it's design, but there have got to be other people like me who want a little quieter riding experience. Any information would be much appreciated.|||I ride a 2001 GL1800 Honda Goldwing. I wear a full face helmet every time I ride. I wear foam ear plugs on rides lasting more than 30 minutes. For me, it is the wind noise that is deadly to my hearing. Goldwings are one of the quietest machines on the road. But I get a lot of wind noise due to my height. If I raise the windshield higher in an effort to move the air above my helmet, windshield just bends more due to increased leverage. I am running an aftermarket two piece windshield. I am 6 foot, 1 inch in height. I sit tall in the saddle due to lower back problems.


If we rode two up all the time, I would purchase custom fitted ear plugs/head phones. This way we could communicate vie the intercom system and hear the music via the audio system while blocking out the external wind noise.


Good Luck|||Congrats on Vision! I love riding my Kingpin. Unfortunately the stock exhaust is probably the quietest exhaust you can get. On the vision I test rode I hardly noticed it. If there is any way to make them quieter, the guys at www.thevog.net forum will know it. They have helped me out in the past, especially the guy named kevinx. I am pretty sure he is a Victory mechanic. So check out the victory owners group website, hopefully they can help.|||You won't find aftermarket exhaust systems that are quieter than stock: There's little demand for such an item, since the stock system already complies with all noise laws, and a quieter system would rob power. The Gold Wing will always be quieter, because it is much easier to hush 6 small explosions than 2 big ones.


Many riders wear earplugs. Since they mute all sounds equally, they do not impair your ability to hear what's going on around you. Even with a quiet exhaust, it has been found that wind noise is a significant contributor to hearing loss.

No comments:

Post a Comment