Saturday, December 24, 2011

My mercury blackmax is still running hot at high RPM'S!?

I have a 1993 200hp mercury blackmax engine that keeps running hot when I push it full throttle and run it. I get it up on a plain and the temp gradually goes up and the alarm sounds. I have changed the water impeller and diaphragm for the poppit valve. The valve itself was fine. I also flushed the block and hoses with water. Any other ideas for what could be making it do this??|||Now you got me.. I was sure it was the poppit..





Pull the thermostats... check the hose between them for blockage... test run it without the stats.





Two other things:





head gasket.





Water in the gas





In general high RPM over heat ( I bet it happens only under load ) is a water volume issue.





as the motor, / water heats up / builds pressure you need more volume to cool the motor... this is what the poppit does opens under pressure... Take a really good look at the poppit assy.. make sure the water has some place to go..... I've had this issue on bothe my moters at one time or another ( twin 150's 1995's )


it's a pain in the #$$%... I run offshore and after sitting in the slip for a bit small salt deposits built up in the poppit housing....





You might want to check you spark plugs as well... it may give you an idea if you have a leak in the head gasket... hope this helps..... I feel you pain! BOAT!!@!

No comments:

Post a Comment