Friday, December 16, 2011

Imported motorcycles the obvious choices?

Not to bash Harley Davidson or anyone else, but since Harley Davidson and Victory basically only make heavy cruisers and Buell is not as popular of a sportbike as the much better imported makes, should we as American consumers even argue that many of the imported motorcycles ARE the better and in some cases, the ONLY choice?





First, as far as off road, standard and multi-purpose motorcycles. All of our choices are imported.





American companies don't make dirtbikes or 250cc beginner bikes or the large range of bikes not offered by foreign makers





Japan and Europe rule the sportbike market, so the obvious choices for sportbike riders is not an American company(Buell).





Not to say that a Harley or a Victory could be a very nice cruiser for many riders, there are alot of more affordable and excellent metric cruisers which are perfect for many other riders.





All other American motorcycle makers are custom built and special projects which are not affordable to most people.





You can say "buy American" but America isn't offering what every American rider out there wants and that's not the fault of the rider.


|||i think you buy into too much of the crap you read on biased webpages and the dribble of the japp crapp lovers here


buell does make a quality bike.


harley does not only make heavy weights, an entry level sportster 883 has the same specs across the board as the highly touted kawasaki vulcan 900... same weight, same power, same friggin everything (and the hd is cheaper)





i think you should be going to dealerships and getting some 1st hand experience with your choices and not relying on the internet for this





and then go and buy whatever you'd like... doesn't matter to me, it aint my money (though if you still rule out american, i hope you at least pick european before rice)|||Ok, you are right, when it comes to standard motorcycles, there are no American choices. I will tell you that Harley has improved as of late, but that is because of foreign competition, not because American bikes are better. It is true that Harley's and Victory's are good bikes for certain things, like the new Harley's are good for long Interstate runs. Personally, I am a Honda guy, they seem to hold up the best for me.





Victory's are really a well made bike. I think they took some pointers from their Japanese and European counterparts, and competition is healthy. I like my bikes a bit lighter, nimbler, and rock-solid reliable. More power to the Motorcycle Enthusiasts that have American bikes, it's cool, but not always the right choice for everyone.





My opinion is everyone needs to shut up and ride, give it a try, it is more fun!|||Well, they MAY be the obvious choice for a sport bike. But having recently added a 3rd mount to my stable, the obvious choice for me was HD.





Motorcycling is more woven into the transportation fabric of Europe %26amp; Asia, partly due to the high cost of fuel they've been paying for far longer than we have in America. Which is a factor as to why they have a wider range of choices.





Certainly Honda, Kawasaki %26amp; Suzuki offer a wide range of bikes both size and style wise. I find it interesting that Triumph jumps from 1050cc to 2300cc with nothing in between. Even Ducati's smallest bike is basically a 700cc.





Again, it all boils down to the individual. I enjoy riding my sport bikes as much as my cruiser. Maybe someday I'll have a tourer too. I ride because I enjoy it.





But you're right to an extent, American manufacturers don't offer what every American rider wants and its not the fault of the rider.





The "free market" will determine who makes what.|||i totally agree with that train of thought. When i bought my Virago(new in 86)I could have bought an 883 sportster accually for a little less. But went with the Yamaha. With no regrets. I know of guys that have bought metric cruises because they didnt want to wait for a Harley.





I dont feel the same way when it come to cars....Especially pick ups. I doubt i would ever buy anything other than an American name plate. Today there is so much import parts in one that it doesnt matter that much. I think its really personal preference.|||I ride a kawasaki Ninja, a Harley davidson with a Lehman trike conversion a Suzuki 500cc quad as well as drive a Toyota pick up and a Jeep Rubicon. I would walk out of a restaurant that had 2 items on the menu. We in America are blessed to have so many choices. Have fun. Ride what you like best, though do stay vertical unless you can Wheelie and Endo.|||First of all, anyone who hasn't by now realized we live in a GLOBAL economy is stuck in the past and needs a serious mind upgrade. Second, on many "Jap" brands, there is as much American labor going into them as foreign labor鈥攎aybe as much American labor as in most Harleys. Honda builds their big bikes in Marysville, Ohio, Kawasaki in Lincoln, Nebraska. Third, do a little research and see how many foreign parts are on any Harley built after, say 2000...see where I'm going? IT DOESN'T MAKE ANY DIFFERENCE. Buy what you like, keep the rubber side down and don't judge anyone by brand names...Harley doesn't try to cover the entire motorcycle market and why should they? They already have the biggest market share and they don't need dirt bike hassles and crotch rocket headaches. Leave all that stuff to those who already do it best...|||I might be wrong but if I understand what your saying is if your not the number one selling bike in your field then we should not buy anything but the number one selling bike? Because there is no such thing as the "only choice".

No comments:

Post a Comment