Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Standard/naked vs Cruiser?

Gonna buy my first bike, I was thinking one of those low cruisers that don't look like the Indian Chieftain type of things with a giant windshield and a huge leather bag with frills, something that resembles a Yamaha Warrior Base : http://www.motorcycle.com/specs/yamaha/cruiser/2009/warrior/base.html





this: http://www.motorcycle.com/specs/suzuki/cruiser/2009/boulevard/m50.html





or : http://www.motorcycle.com/specs/victory/cruiser/2009/vegas-reg/8-ball.html





but then I looked at some of the standard/naked ones and I cant decide now, I'm mostly buying for the look of it, but id like to be sure which ones offer better comfort for long distance riding and if someone can HIGHLIGHT the main differences between Standard/Naked and Cruisers etc.





I like the following standards





: http://www.motorcycle.com/specs/triumph/standard/2009/speed/triple.html





http://www.motorcycle.com/specs/ducati/standard/2009/monster/696.html





PS I'm 19 and I live in the big city so I'd like something that fits both in the city and something I can ride on the highway for a few hundred miles or so.





Thanks|||I noticed you like the new Ducati 696 and Triumph. Have you seen the Aprilia Shiver? Suzuki also has the new "Gladius".





I'm a motorcycle instructor and I ride sportbikes, I would opt for a standard bike. It lays down the basics in a more forgiving setting over a cruiser, plus it offers a more natural riding position.|||This question isn't about the bike it is about you. Choosing to buy or not to buy a cruiser is the dividing line. The cruiser crowd is into biking as a lifestyle, a fashion statement, a status symbol.





Those into motorcycling as a sport, for the handling and the feel of speed and acceleration are into standards, naked, dual sport or sport bikes.





Making that choice is to chose sides in a brother against brother civil war.|||I like all the bikes you have listed. If I were to choose it would be between the Triumph and the Victory. Just my opinion.|||I'd go with the victory.|||A Speed Triple is way more than you want or need for a first bike, the Monster will be rather too small for you (although try one it might suit). If you want comfortable long distance travel you will need to look for something with a screen or fairing, you can get aftermarket screens but, to me, they always look like an afterthought. I find that the cruiser ergonomics put rather too much weight on the lower back and don't allow for enough movement.





There are alternatives that will do the long distance in far more comfort without going the full-on tourer route, unfortunately, they and your choices are not the best for a first bike.

No comments:

Post a Comment